The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned below.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 12 Regional Offices, 34 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
ERCS also runs Disaster Risk Reduction programs relating to food security, climate change adaptation, livelihood diversification, and institutional capacity building interventions, with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. ERCS works in partnership with the Ethiopian Government, International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), partnering National Societies, members, volunteers and the communities we serve.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, directs, coordinates and controls disaster preparedness and response programs/ projects of the Society;
- Forming and managing national disaster response teams, capacity building, prepositioning relief items at strategic locations, identifying and availing disaster management devices, etc;
- Participates in designing or revising disaster risk management policy, procedure and strategy to align with pertinent policies of the Federation of the Movement and the Government, and to accommodate contingencies;
- Initiate and participate on projects /programs formulation on prioritized intervention areas of disaster preparedness and response in consultation with concerned bodies and coordinates implementation upon approval;
- Ensures that disaster preparedness and response programs and projects of the Society are responsive to the needs of the most vulnerable;
- Tackles problems and handles issues referred to him/her from branches and Emergency preparedness and response staff of the Society;
- Coordinates logistical capacity building humanitarian operations in preparation for disaster prone areas response of drought, flood, hailstorm, landslides and other natural and manmade disasters in the country in partnership with stakeholders within and outside the Movement;
- Gathers and consolidates information before an outbreak of disaster in a given area based on the preliminary assessment of branches and government Humanitarian Response Declaration , prepares reports on the extent of the disaster, and assesses the type of assistance required and the availability of material necessary for averting or overcoming the disaster;
- Integrates the activities of providing relief supplies, and recovery ,rehabilitation and reconstruction activities in collaboration with Disaster Risk Reduction department ;
- Supervises and leads need assessment missions during slow onset disasters on type of assistance required, availability of assistance materials in the area, type of intervention by the Society, etc;
- Follows up and ensures that financial commitments of funding agents of disaster preparedness and response programs/projects are timely released ,transferred and used as per commitments;
- Organize and prepare reports on the performance progresses of national Emergency response management
- Take part the management of the National Emergency Operation Center (EOC) to enrich with updated data in carrying out an informed decision and action on emergency preparedness, response and recovery functions and rollout to branches;
- Collects and compiles disaster information at national level and shares with branches to have adequate information for preparedness like early warning, contingency planning and timely response to reduce the impact of disasters
- Facilitate the activities of providing relief items, developing or rehabilitating infrastructures to disaster victims in the aftermaths of disaster in coordination with concerned work unit
- Facilitates the budget transfer to implementers of disaster preparedness and response programs and projects as per schedule and demand; performance progress and budget utilization of program/project activities;
- Ensures that disaster preparedness and response accomplishments of the Society are kept recorded, timely communicated and the database thereof properly managed;
- Facilitates report preparation and submission of branches on progresses of disaster preparedness and response and reports to donor organizations as per commitments;
- Represents the Society and participates in experience sharing and related forums on matters of disaster preparedness and response as per delegation;
- Meet with public safety officials, private companies, and the general public to get recommendations regarding emergency response plans.
- Organize emergency response training programs and exercises for staff, volunteers, and other responders.
- Prepares and Submits EPR projects progress reports timely and as per commitment to partner organizations and Director for Disaster Risk Management of the Society;
- Provides coaching and mentoring to subordinates and team members on program quality standards, management quality procedures and EPR best practices
- Participates in coordination and task force meetings, and related forums on matters of emergency preparedness and response sector
- Create conducive working atmosphere for staffs and develop team synergy;
- Ensure promotion of culture of nonviolence and peace is mainstreamed in all EPR programs/projects
- Take part in designing and implementation of promotion of culture of non-violence and peace activities for ERCS in vulnerable and conflict-impacted areas
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities of the disaster preparedness and response programs as assigned by the Director, Disaster Risk Management.
Work Unit: - Emergency Preparedness & Response Division
Reports to:- DRM Director
- Second/First Degree in Disaster Risk Management/ Management/ Economics/ Development or Agriculture Economics/ Rural & Local Development Studies/ Public Health/ Environmental Health/ Environmental Science/ Social Work/ Sociology/ Social Anthropology/ Food Security and Livelihood and
- 8/10 years related work experience, out of which 2/4 years in senior managerial position(s).
How to Apply
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form
With the indicated link https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/x/IyUTlyf1 before theclosing date of this announcement on January 20, 2023.
Jan 20, 2023