Ethiopia Program Associate Full-time Job2023-02-03 20:29 agriculture Addis Ababa 79 views
About One Acre Fund
One Acre Fund works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. In Ethiopia, we engage farmers in agroforestry and community-based seed multiplication. In partnership with the Amhara National Regional State, these programs have planted more than 30 million trees, produced over 500 MT of improved teff seed and reached more than 150,000 farmers. Now, we are in an exciting phase of work in which we are trialling novel approaches and preparing for scale-up in the coming years. We have over 8000 employees globally, and our growing Ethiopian headquarters are in Bahir Dar, Amhara Region, with small offices in Addis Ababa, Finote Selam and Motta.
To learn more about our work, look at our Why Work Here blog for information.
About The Role
The Core Tree Program Associate will be an essential part of our leadership team in one of One Acre Fund's fastest-growing country programs. The Ethiopia program is poised to serve over 300,000 farmers in 2023, growing 10 million trees and scaling an ambitious seed multiplication program. By 2025, we aim to help 500,000 farmers and plant 100 million trees.
We are seeking a strong individual to work through and build the effectiveness of our field and support staff of the Core Tree Department (100+ full-time employees). You will report directly to the Ethiopia Core Tree Lead, and you will directly manage (at least) two key deputies.
- Execution: You will through your team coordinate the execution of all the activities necessary to bring trees into the hands of our farmers:
- Field Team recruitment and training
- Nursery officers' recruitment and training
- Coordination with our Logistic/Procurement Team for input orders and deliveries
- Weekly follow-up of nurseries establishment and production
- Coordination with local stakeholders and casual hiring for the tree seedlings' marketing and distribution.
- Program Design: You will design improvements to our programs and trial new ones to generate an additional $5-USD 10m of impact and to make our programs more cost-efficient. You will work with a diverse set of people to gather input on these and coordinate their rollout.
- Lead a Team of Leaders: You will work with others to set department or sub-department-level goals, then guide your team to achieve these through clear expectations, support and coaching. You'll need to ensure your team has developed plans and opportunities for growth.
- Budget: You will support annual budgeting for the core tree department (around $1.8M) and lead cost efficiency plays.
Career Growth and DevelopmentWe have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have the following:
- 5+ years of experience in a dynamic creative organization(s) working on sales, marketing, training, program design, or product innovations.
- Experience performing project coordination across multiple departments.
- Experience performing data analytics to guide decision-making.
- Prior experience working with rural development programs is required.
- Willingness to travel to remote kebeles.
- Agroforestry or agriculture background/experience is a plus; interest in these is required.
- Bachelor's degree at a minimum.
- Amharic and English are required.
Preferred Start Date
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Ethiopia
January 31, 2023
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will invariably arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve extraordinary impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
How to Apply
Please apply through the link below:
Apr 4, 2023