Field Coordinator - National/International Full-time Job2023-01-21 20:35 MAnagement Gambēla 55 views
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 30m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2022/2023 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
I. Summary of position
The Field Coordinator will provide strategic and operational leadership to overall technical and programmatic quality in intervention, compliance with donor rules and regulations, and the timely submission of all deliverables, including a detailed implementation plan, monitoring plan, and report. He/she will be responsible for budget management, reporting, and management of the team, implementing the project, and the overall management of the security at the field and regional level,
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director and with the support of the Technical Advisers in the Capital Office the Field Coordinator will be responsible for the overall management of the programs and support activities of the Gambella Base, effective implementation of the project including, reporting budget, project monitoring, and evaluation. She/He is responsible for the security of the base and Continuous strategic analysis of the security and humanitarian context in Gambella
The Field Coordinator will work closely with other departments in the base and capital teams internally.
Externally, build relationships with other organizations UN, NGOs at the field and regional level, local government officials, and community leaders in the program implementation area.
The Field Coordinator will support the timely task delivery with attention to the quality as per SOPs. Organize project execution consistent with program objectives engaging counterparts and building a reputation for quality design and reliable delivery in line with donor rules, regulations, and standards.
II. Essential Job Duties
- Overall management of the programs and support activities of the Wollega Base
- With the support of the local PMs and the Technical Advisers in AA, participate and contribute to the development of new projects including feasibility, the draft of concept notes, and LFA (TAs in AA are in charge of proposal writing eventually)
- Support the PM in implementing a sound monitoring system (PMs are responsible for the monitoring of their project with the technical support of the TAs)
- Projects Management and supervision
- In collaboration with the Country HR Manager ensure that ACF’s Internal Regulation, Convention on Social Benefits, working conditions, and other policies are properly implemented and adhered to at all times.
- Make sure all projects have a Supply Plan that is checked before proceeding with purchases and orders. Make sure the Supply plan is respected or updated according to the need. Alert the Country Logistics Manager when the means are not fitting the need (cars, telecoms, etc.)
- Continuous strategic analysis of the security and humanitarian context in Gambella
- Analyze the regional security context using all available sources.
- Alert the Country Logistics manager and Country Director pro-actively on imminent risks and threats and suggest a plan of action/ impact on operations in the base.
- Advise the DCD/P and program departments in strategic programming with regard to the impact of security on program activities.
- Representation of ACF and liaison with regional authorities in Gambella, UN, NGOs at the field and regional level
- Participate in humanitarian coordination meetings at the field level and at the regional level, the latter in rotation with the country management team in Addis
- Participate in the organization and ensure successful donors field visits in collaboration with Country Director / DCD/P
- Lead negotiations and represent ACF with the following authorities BOFED, DPPB, ENCU, RWB, and RHB, especially for project agreement, extension, etc.
- Collaborate with the PM and Liaison Advisor in Addis in order to ensure timely production and submission of reports to local authorities at the field level
- Monitor and supervise the general management of partnership relations; ensure smooth and fruitful communication with partners and all relevant actors; ensure support and assistance are available to partners in line with needs and requests;
- Review and validate the monthly base coordination meeting report and send it to Addis in a timely manner;
- Provide regular updates and reports to the Country director;
- Ensure the field team is closely informed about the country's situation, social and political environment, the evolution of the context, and other relevant and non-confidential internal development;
- Ensure coordination between PMs in order to develop experience sharing, documentation, and application of lessons learned.
- Weekly coordination meeting notes, Regional security report, Donor reports (supervision)
- Authority reports (depending on nature either directly or in collaboration with Program and Liaison department)
- Stakeholder reports/ documentation (depending on nature either directly or in collaboration with Program and Liaison department)
- Supervising the timely production of internal reports (Log, Admin, Finance HR, PMs)
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Directly manage Deputy Field Coordinator, Community Advisor, Logistics, Finance and HR base and PMs
- Ensure positive team spirit and intervene/ mediate in case of disputes
- Ensure regular and timely appraisals
- Ensure proper break planning and gap coverage
IV. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries (women, men, children (boys and girls)) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
V. Fiscal Responsibility
- Budget follow-up (BFU) regularly and ensure the utilization of allocated budget in a timely manner to ensure accurate and effective use of funds in compliance with Action Against Hunger and donor regulations.
VI. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
VII. Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel regularly for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
VIII. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor's degree in humanitarian-related fields
- At least Five years of field experience in the operational management of humanitarian-development programs
- A proven track record in project management on one of the following topics (WASH, FSL, Nutrition and Health and Gender/Protection) or a proven track record of support management of humanitarian-development projects (Admin, Log, HR, Finance).
IX. Required Skills & Competencies
- Excellent capacity for strategic humanitarian context analysis
- Proven record of security and base management in development and post-crisis settings.
- Strong management skills and leadership, pro-activity
- Strong communication, networking, and representation
- Basic knowledge of ACF programs and procedures is advantageous
- Good team worker, facilitator, and mediator
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required and additional knowledge of the local language will be an added advantage
- Knowing the local language advantageous
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “ Field Coordinator” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following address:
Jan 31, 2023