Programme Specialist - Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, NO-C Full-time Job2023-01-27 11:48 Social science and community Addis Ababa 103 views
The Programme Specialist oversees programme planning, monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance interventions, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. You will lead the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Programme Team and collaborate with the Country Office’s operations and administrative support staff.
You will report to the UNFPA Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Working within a Country Office (CO) environment, you will ensure the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of planning, monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance of UNFPA Humanitarian, Development and Peace nexus programming.
Employing your programme management experience, you will oversee the work of the programme team as well as consultants, advisors, and experts. You will establish and maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues, and effectively influence diverse stakeholders to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate.
You would be responsible for:
Quality Assurance on Planning, Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation
- Oversee results-based planning, monitoring results documentation and reporting; and use of results-based indicators under the guidance of management.
- Monitor and refine development of frameworks, methodologies and databases for the CPD, UNSDCF, ICPD, SDGs and other reporting/monitoring.
- Compile and analyze data on project indicators and indicator databases and inform the management; and present to staff on a regular basis;
- Maintain and update the Country Office’s Overall Programme Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation ( PME) Plan and advise on its effective implementation.
- Manage the planning, monitoring and evaluation work of the Country Programme and advise country level processes such as budget allocation system; work plan development; compilation of Strategic Information System planning, monitoring and reporting; reporting in UN and other UNFPA reporting and as may be directed by the Country Representative; coordinate evaluations management responses and reporting
- Lead the knowledge management on PME, by ensuring that outcomes of PME activities are properly documented, distributed, and discussed.
- Manage project specific and Country Programme (CP) evaluations and ensure compliance to office management audit and its recommendations.
- Coordinate country office annual report for publishing to the website and sharing with partners to demonstrate the country office performance
Strategic Planning and programme management service
- Advise management on strategic planning and programme/project management policies and procedures.
- Design and implement the annual target setting and ensure accurate inputs to the end- year.
- Coordinate UNFPA inputs for the preparation of the UN Common Country Analysis and UNSDCF, as well as coordinate input into UNSDCF annual reporting and evaluation.
- Lead the Organization of the annual review of the UNFPA Country Programme with the Government and partners
- Coordinate field monitoring visits and compilation of reports for feedback to partners and internal discussion for management actions
- Coordinate processes for SIS quarterly and annual planning, reporting and reviews
- Coordinate regular reviews the CP with implementing Partners (IPs) and partners, including mid-term reviews and evaluations.
- Engage in sector working groups related to national planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Support development of project proposals with focus on theory of change, logical framework and results-based focus.
- Support review of project reports to ensure alignment with project log frame and performance management matrix
Results-based management and Capacity Development
- Advise management on areas to strengthen programme/project management capacities of UNFPA and its Implementing Partners;
- Guide the programme Units in preparing work plans in the right format with narratives and SMARTER indicators, targets and baselines.
- Lead training to UNFPA project staff serving on UNFPA/Joint UNSDCF-supported projects on results-based project management and results reporting.
- Coordinate the training of UNFPA staff and IPs on policies and procedures related to IP management, work planning, GPS, SIS reporting, monitoring and evaluation and RBM.
- Lead specific and hands-on training and learning sessions for UNFPA staff on RBM, for the maximum and optimal use of the available RBM and Strategic Information Systems tools.
- Provide technical support to the Operations Team with Project Assurance activities e.g. Spot Checks and IP Capacity Assessment.
- Coordinate UNFPA inputs into UNSDCF Action Plan mid-year and annual reviews and in UN interagency Report.
- Coordinate baseline surveys, mid-term reviews and evaluation of specific projects or thematic areas, and the country programme in general.
- Participating in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events.
- Represent UNFPA in technical working groups with the UN, government, and other stakeholders
- Conducts field monitoring and supportive supervision to interventions sites and field offices
- Any other activities/responsibilities as assigned by the UNFPA Representative and Deputy Representative
Qualifications and Experience:Education:
- Advanced degree in health, population, statistics, demography and/or other related social science discipline
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation in the field of development and population activities;
- Experience in programme/ project planning, management, monitoring and evaluation including experience in large multi-sector projects, designing and appraising proposals and actively liaising with relevant and potential project partners;
- Proven experience in coordinating/managing a multi-disciplinary team of staff, experts and consultants;
- Experience in drafting and implementing legislation;
- Field experience is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English; Amharic, knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable .
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
How to Apply
Feb 9, 2023