Senior Health Economics Adviser Contract Job2023-02-12 21:48 Medical & Healthcare Addis Ababa 130 views
Report to: Food Science and Nutrition Research Directorate of Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI)
Duty station: Ethiopia Public Health Institute, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of Employment: six months with Possibility of Extension
Required Number: 1
Multiple micronutrient supplementation (MMS) as part of maternal nutrition programming is an opportunity to accelerate progress toward several Global Nutrition Targets. Recent global evidence has concluded that antenatal MMS is superior to iron and folic acid supplementation The MMS to routine antenatal care is proposed as an intervention to improve birth weight. From 2022 the Ministry of Health in Ethiopia will implement MMS programme in a limited number of districts (woreda), replacing iron supplementation. The programme effectiveness study is research will conduct by the Ethiopian Public Health Institute in collaboration with London School Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. The study responds to the need for evidence on the effect on birthweight of switching from iron-folic acid supplementation (IFA) to multiple micronutrient supplementation (MMS) as part of routine antenatal care in Ethiopia. A 2019 meta-analysis of trial data reported a mean improvement of 35g in newborn birth weight amongst newborns born to women who took MMS in pregnancy compared to those who took IFA. Responding to this evidence, in 2020 the World Health Organization updated its global guideline on MMS from ‘not recommended’ to ‘recommended in the context of rigorous research. The guideline identifies priority research being ‘to establish the impact of switching routine antenatal IFA to MMS on important health outcomes, equity, acceptability, feasibility, sustainability and health-care resources in different country settings.’ As part of this work, we would like toestimate the cost and cost-effectiveness of the MMS intervention; Therefore, this post holder will be responsible specifically for the estimation of the cost and cost-effectiveness of the MMS intervention.
Roles and responsibilities:
· Able to facilitate and coordinate data collection, manage and analyze costing and cost effectiveness data
· Produce relevant findings using literature reviews, in-depth analysis of economic evaluation
· Assist in coordinating meetings, events and conferences such as dissemination and analytical workshops
· Participate in writing scientific manuscripts, technical reports, policy briefs, and fact sheets, as needed
·Undertake preparation of costing tool
·Follow up and supervise that ongoing survey follow
·Ensure logistics for data collection, meeting, and any other workshop needed for the implementation of the project
· Oversee, analyze and review budget and expenditure
· Assist in coordinating meetings with stakeholders, as needed
· Minute taking and sharing to the technical working group
· Prepare monthly report on progress of the implementation
· Prepare Scientific papers.
· Any other related task as may be requested by the directorate
· (Preferably Ph.D.) /MPH in health economics or applied micro-economics/ /other related fields;
· Demonstrated 8/10 years experiences in the health system with at least 1 track publications in cost effectiveness;
· Experience in economic evaluation survey, and proven skills in data collection, data quality management and analysis, tool validation;
·Familiar with existing Ethiopian health system policies and strategies;
· Demonstrated proficiency in a range of data management and statistical software (e.g., SPSS, STATA,) is preferred, Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook;
· Demonstrated ability in virtual communication and video teleconferencing software program i.e., zoom with the stakeholders and health development partners;
· A record of peer-reviewed publications in line with respective areas of discipline;
· Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills, energetic, passionate, patient, proactive and self-motivated;
· Working research in DALYs /QLYL methods, or related is an advantage.
How to Apply
Note Interested applicants can register in Online through only ethiojobs.net send their CVs and relevant documents at the address given below within 10 working days from the first appearance of the announcement
Remarks: Please attach copies of transcripts, academic degree or recommendation letters together with the application. If not attached the copies you may be not short listed.
Feb 21, 2023