Senior Media and Communications Manager / Readvert Full-time Job2023-02-02 23:24 Marketing & Communication Addis Ababa 106 views
Senior Communications and Media Manager – Ethiopia Country Office
TEAM/PROGRAM: Communications Team
LOCATION: Addis Ababa
GRADE: TBC (Competitive Package)
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Senior Communications and Media Manager is responsible for developing and executing the overall communications and media strategy and overseeing its implementation. The role holder will work with the Director of Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media (ACCM) to determine which messages should be communicated to internal and external stakeholders, and develop strategies for how those messages should be delivered.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director of ACCM
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Ethiopia with a current staff complement of approximately 1,500
Staff directly reporting to this post: 2
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Development and implementation of the country office’s communications and media strategy
- Works with the key CO staff, regional office staff, and others to develop fit-for-purpose communication and media strategy and guidelines
- Develop a specific, time-bound plan for the implementation of the internal and external communications strategy
- Plan and manage the design, content, and production of all communication products
- Monitor the progress of the implementation of the communications strategies and adapt it to new opportunities
External Communications and Media
- Develop external communications and media strategies/guidelines to guide the engagement of Save the Children Ethiopia Country office with the media and general public
- Ensure that all media messages and engagements are developed to the highest level of quality and timeliness and then approved by the ACCM Director
- Proactively identify media topics, prepare media messages, assess appropriate media channels including social media for communicating those messages and facilitate the process of disseminating/communicating those messages
- Develop guidelines and monitor the quality of external events
- Establish proactive and strategic relationship with media houses that can help in advancing Save the Children’s strategic priorities in Ethiopia
- Familiarise himself/herself with the work of Save the Children Ethiopia to effectively represent the organization in media engagements where relevant
- Ensure adequate budgeting and planning for external events
- Develop internal communications strategies and guidelines that follow SCI global guidelines and good practices
- Work with relevant teamas to develop minimum standards per project for communications materials and services
- Oversee the quality and timeliness of the production of internal communications materials
- Ensure appropriate communications materials are communicated through appropriate channels including messages to staff, the web-site,project briefs, and other channels
- Develop and oversee implement a strategy for communications among CO staff
- Ensure that cross cutting themes like child participation, gender, disability are mainstreamed in all media and communications work.
- Identify communications capacity gaps Save the Children Ethiopia Country Office and its partners and work to ensure they are improved
- Develop and implement communications capacity building plan in general with particular focus on identifying, planning and implementing communication initiatives, methods and skills of documenting and communicating lessons and good practices
- Build staff capacity in developing and implementing community level communication initiatives
- Build capacity of key staff at all levels to ensure they are able to be effective ambassadors for our work in Ethiopia
- Ensure key staff have media training
Staff and budget management
- Lead and manage relevant communication team members and their reports.
- Oversee that all direct staff proactively build and maintain technical skills and competencies required for their responsibilities
- Manage the performance of the relevant Communication Team members through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, provision of ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased performance evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and accessing capacity development opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance in consulation with the ACCM Director
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least ten years of experience in leading communications and media work for a large organization preferably NGO, and team management experience
- Degree in social science, human rights, development, international relations, journalism/mass communication.
- Masters or post graduate degree in communications and media preferred
- Knowledge of and/or direct work experience in the non-profit sector
- Experience in developing and implementing communications and media strategies
- Personnel and budget management experience
- Excellent representational skills with a proven track record of influencing key audiences
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, to analyze complex information and offer creative, practical and effective solutions
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, tact, and diplomacy
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce good quality documents, information for a variety of audiences and communicate good practices
- Strong inter-organisational skill such as networking, negotiation and communication.
- Willing and able to travel time to support field teams as security permits
- Ability to produce high-quality communications products and services under tight deadlines
- Excellent English skills, both verbal and written, required. Knowledge of additional local lanaguages desired
- Commitment to Save the Children International values.
- SC Values are: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. To meet the value system the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies on ongoing basis:
Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrate leadership in all our work, role models our values and articulates a compiling vision to inspire to achieve our goals for children
Delivering results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/ organisation.
Developing Self and Others: Invest time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential and to build the organization capability for the further.
Problem solving and decision making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
Innovating and Adapting: Develop and implement innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing uncertain work and global environment.
Applying technical and professional expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organisation.
- Engaging ( align with Collaboration, Creativity,
Networking: Builds and use sustainable relationship to support the work of save the children
Working effectively with others Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.
How to Apply
How to Apply
-Interested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should apply using the below link:
Feb 7, 2023